Gillette faced its biggest challenge ever – defend its market leadership against the launch of Schick Quattro, the world’s first 4 blade razor. After all, Gillette had already taught the world that MACH3’s 3 blade razor was the best a man could get. To maintain its dominant market share, Gillette needed its own new product entry that would create news and excitement to help minimize any negative impact resulting from Schick’s launch.
Unfortunately, no technological enhancements to improve the MACH3Turbo shave were available to incorporate since Gillette was in the middle of its own major product lifecycle. A MACH3 razor with a different color could be developed, but would a colored variant of the original really be enough to thwart the news of four blades?
A colored variant can be powerful if it’s brought to life with a powerful positioning, as we proved. We didn’t just develop and launch a colored razor. After rounds of concept testing among men, we developed and launched MACH3Turbo CHAMPION positioned around guys’ passion for racing and high-performance cars. This positioning connected with all men and reinforced Gillette’s already strong connection with its users.
We led the development of all aspects of the launch that worked so well together:
- The product – fire engine red with black accents for traction, as well as a reflective, chrome-like mirror in the organizer, all together oozed performance.
- The name – CHAMPION not only fit with the concept of high-performance cars, but also the original ‘Best a Man can Get.’
- The packaging – while synergistic with the original MACH3Turbo package, MACH3Turbo CHAMPION was distinctive, appealing and noticeable at shelf.
- The point-of-sale communication – the juxtaposition of the red razor and red sports car, along with the headline brought this new product to life in store.
- The displays – designed to work with the package and POS, and get noticed.
- The advertising – using the same juxtaposition of razor to sports car in TV, Print, and Online connected with men and made them want to buy MACH3Turbo CHAMPION just for the look and what it stood for.
While the intent was to minimize share loss to Schick’s new 4-bladed razor, MACH3Turbo CHAMPION gained unprecedented presence and actually grew share despite Schick Quattro! CHAMPION reinforced the performance that MACH3 delivered and solidified the affinity most men already had with Gillette. And because of the way we positioned it and brought it to life, this red razor was recognized as the most successful line extension in Gillette’s Blade & Razor history.