Just a couple years back, GPS devices were the hottest category in consumer electronics, but consumers quickly began spending their money on smart phones with $30 data plans that offered free navigation. They no longer saw the need for a dedicated navigation device, and category sales began to decline. TomTom needed to get consumers to think differently.
Fortunately, there were reasons why consumers might still want a dedicated TomTom GPS device. TomTom provided the best maps covering more roads than smart phones and competitive devices. They also had a larger screen with a dedicated mount making it much safer to use in a car than fumbling with a smart phone. Finally, TomTom had HD Traffic, the only true solution for getting you out of traffic – a revolutionary technology that uses a cellular connection to detect road delays in real-time to reroute you before you are stuck going no where.
After recognizing these facts, we did three things. First, we repositioned the brand as the best navigation solution for driving – better than smartphones, because of the aforementioned reasons. Based on this new positioning, we then developed a new, fully-integrated campaign to communicate the brand’s superiority; the tagline said it perfectly: “Anything Less is Just GPS.” Finally, as part of the campaign, we launched HD Traffic – a challenge in itself since many competitive GPS devices already offered “traffic solutions” that just didn’t work.
The campaign utilized
- Digital ads with rich media and radio to engage with TomTom’s target, drivers who hate getting stuck in traffic,
- an Animated video we developed to visually illustrate what HD Traffic did and how it worked,
- Interactive, in-store and online point-of-sale communication that showed why consumers may still want a dedicated TomTom GPS device,
- Premium packaging to launch GO LIVE, the new GPS devices with a live connection that enabled HD Traffic and other apps for travel,
- Facebook promotions to grow the fan base and enable TomTom users to share their passion for the brand with each other, and
- Emails to TomTom’s known userbase to encourage trade-up.
Not only did the campaign enable TomTom to stay relevant during a tumultuous time, but it actually grew brand share (good for TomTom) while it minimized Category declines (good for retailers)! Moreover, we established a new segment of connected GPS devices that enabled real-time data sharing which significantly improved the functionality of the dedicated GPS device, as well as propelled TomTom to being a technologically advanced innovator in the category in the minds of consumers and retailers alike.